Tuesday, September 08, 2009

I Got Lucky...

There is this one little girl in one of my 4th grade classes that comes up to me every single week and badgers me with questions in Korean.  She eventually gets frustrated at my lack of understanding and wanders off.  So last week she came up to me and asked the following question in Korean:

Her: 한국말 하실 줄 아세요?  (hangukmal hasil jul aseyo?) Do you speak Korean?
Me:  No.

She gives up after this first question, gives a big huff as she shrugs her shoulders and begins to turn to walk away.   Mid turn she stops, swings her body back toward me with her mouth hanging open.  "Teacher!!" she squealed with a kind of WTF look on her face.  

Busted.

She obviously caught me in a little bit of a lie.  I couldn't really answer no to that question if it wasn't at least a little bit of bluff.  

She grabbed a friend of hers and told her that I understood Korean.  She then holds up one finger and tells me, in Korean, to count in Korean.  So I begin...

Il, Ee, Sahm, Sa, Oh...

They started jumping up and down and squealing (in Korean) "She speaks Korean!!"   I gave them a smirky little grin and walked away...

... "Whew," I thought, "that was lucky.  I only know how to say 'I do/ don't speak Korean and my numbers!!  Glad she didn't pick up a pencil and say, 'What's this'!!!"  


No comments:

If you are reading this, then I'm impressed... you just did a whole lot of reading!!