Sunday, May 03, 2009

Today was a great day

I really needed today.

Though the frustrations of culture shock are finally weaning, I still end up with a lot of pent up frustration in my day to day life.  However, today was a breath of fresh air.   Literally.

Will and I decided to go hiking today.  He took me to Eunhaesa Temple, on the outskirts of Yeongcheon.  It's a holiday weekend and the parking lot was full when we got there. Will didn't want to look for a parking spot, so in a move that was straight out of the Britne playbook, he drove up to the gate and told the guard he had an appointment with a monk, and in we drove.

We parked next to Eunhaesa Temple.  It's a large and famous temple here in Korea.  We bypassed the temple and started heading up the mountain.  Will wanted to take me to an obscure little temple deep in the mountains.  It's a place he used to go when he was younger.    We hiked the 3.5k up to the temple (whose name I can't remember.)
  


It was so nice to be in the mountains.  I'm a mountains girl, always have been.  I'll choose a day lost in the mountains over a day at the beach every time.  Being in the woods was strangely familiar:  the feeling, the smells, the sounds; it was just like being back home.  It was a perfect day today, sunny and warm, but you could feel the damp coolness of the forest as you climbed up.  It smelled like Appalachia with comforting scents of Pine trees and Azalea blossoms.  It was such a calming and peaceful walk, listening to mountain streams and birds chirping.

I was a little worried about not being able to keep up.  I haven't gone hiking in a long time and I'm really out of shape.  But not to worry, Will's a smoker.  I had no problem keeping up with him!

The air seemed clean today.  Maybe it was because I was deep in the mountains.  Maybe it was just a freak day.  Either way, I couldn't get enough.  I sucked in as much air as I could.  I couldn't breathe deep enough.  I just wanted to stand there and breathe all day.  

It was a long, steep hike to the small temple, and I was dripping with sweat by the time we got to the top... and it felt great!  I love the heat.  I love the feeling of being drenched in sweat, I associate that feeling with a lot of good memories... mostly of traveling.



Will showed me around the temple.  It was a tiny little temple at the top of the mountain.  It was quiet and peaceful it was very.... buddhist.  Will took me to Buddha to pray.  We took off our shoes and entered the main temple building.

We grabbed two mats and put them on the floor.  Will showed me how to pray.  Bowing, kneeling on the floor, and then standing back up... repeated 3 times.  Afterwards we sat there in silence.  It was so peaceful.  Only the two of us, sitting under the alter fixated on the golden Buddha, sweat pouring off of my skin while I sat in that hot little room that was filled with the sweet smell of incense.  I wanted to sit there all day.

No comments:

If you are reading this, then I'm impressed... you just did a whole lot of reading!!